AFGHANISTAN.Kabul. The bomb attack that targeted the convoy of Afghanistan’s First Vice-President Amrullah Saleh on Wednesday killed 10 civilians.
The Kabul bombing incident is believed to be a pre-planned attack since it happened at the time when the Afghan officials and the Taliban were preparing to commence their first formal talks involving peace negotiation.
The Vice-President has survived the attack with just minor injuries on his face and hands. But, many civilian casualties were reported in the blast. The spokesperson of Afghanistan’s interior ministry, Tareq Arain told BBC that the bombing targeted Saleh’s convoy. The blast took place at a crowded place that left 15 bystanders wounded. The video footage filmed by a citizen, shortly after the explosion, showed a large plume of black smoke rising from the scene.
Apparently, the spokesman of the Taliban, Zabiullah Mujahid in one of his tweets claimed that the militant group had no involvement in the blast.
Afghanistan receives support from around the world
The United Nations (UN) has strongly condemned the attack. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres extended his deepest condolences to the grieving families. He also wished a speedy recovery to all the injured citizens, according to the UN. In addition to the statement, he said, “The urgency of achieving peaceful settlements to the conflicts in the country is the need of the time. The United Nations is committed to support and help the Government and people of Afghanistan.”
The Secretary-General of Afghanistan, Deborah Lyons tweeted in solidarity with the country. Lyons described the intra-Afghan talk as a very historic moment in the UN Security Council last week. She believes this step to be essential to end the brutal conflicts in the country.
The conflict between Afghanistan and the Taliban has raged in the past four decades. It has claimed thousands of lives and displaced millions of people.