6.5C
Madrid
Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Zimbabwe Declare Another Localized Lockdown

According to the MoHCC, as of Tuesday, 689,397 people received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine while 349,412 got their second doses nationwide.

Must read

Tafadzwa Mwanengureni
Tafadzwa Mwanengureni
I am a student journalist at Harare Polytechnic majoring in print journalism

ZIMBABWE: Zimbabwe on Friday declared a two week localized lockdown for Mashonaland West districts, Kariba and Hurungwe as spikes of new cases have been recorded within a short space of time.

This is the second localized lockdown after Kwekwe a town in Midlands Province was put under lockdown since May 24 and was extended early this week.

- Advertisement -

Announcing the lockdown on Friday night, the Chief Director Curative Services in the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC), Dr Maxwell Hove said that more than 40 cases have been recorded within a space of 3 days in the province adding that Kariba and Hurungwe districts were the main hotspots.

“The Ministry of Health and Child care had therefore declared a lockdown in the hotspots of Kariba and Hurungwe districts.

- Advertisement -

Read Also: COVID–19: New Guidelines For Kids

“Those living outside Hurungwe and Kariba are prohibited from visiting the two districts”, said Hove.

- Advertisement -

He urged people to continue adhering to COVID-19 regulations.

COVID-19 Vaccination

Recently, the country ran out of vaccines and the cabinet announced that the next batch of 500,000 is expected to arrive in the country on June 15.

According to the MoHCC, as of Tuesday, 689,397 people received their first dose while 349,412 got their second doses nationwide.

Last week, the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ranked Zimbabwe as one of those on Level 1 of COVID-19, which means it is at low risk of pandemic and safe for international travellers.

Other African countries under low risk include Malawi, Eswatini, Nigeria and Ghana.

Moreover, yesterday the MoHCC tightened Covid-19 measures countrywide effective 14 June so as to curb the surge of cases.

The measures include banned gatherings except for funerals which should be attended by a maximum number of 30 people among others.

Contributor

- Advertisement -

Archives

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest articles

%d bloggers like this: