INDIA: India achieved another milestone after surpassing the US in the administration of COVID-19 vaccine doses on Sunday. According to the Union Health Ministry, the cumulative vaccination coverage crossed 323.6 million on Monday. Out of this, 17,21,268 doses were administered in the last 24 hours.
Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan on Monday said it is ”historic” that India has overtaken the United States of America in the total number of COVID-19 vaccines administered so far.
“World’s #LargestVaccineDrive pacing ahead! At 32.36 crore, surpasses in terms of cumulative #COVID19Vaccince doses administered. A remarkable result of efforts by ”Whole of Govt” & ”Whole of society” under the leadership of Hon’ble PM Shri @narendramodi Ji,” he tweeted.
India’s vaccination drive began on January 16. The country’s COVID-19 vaccination drive was hailed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He called it a drive which “keeps gaining momentum”.
“India’s vaccination drive keeps gaining momentum! Congrats to all those who are driving this effort. Our commitment remains vaccines for all, free for all,” PM Modi said.
As part of the new phase, all COVID-19 vaccine doses were allocated to the states and union territories based on their population, vaccination progress, and infection burden.
The Centre decided to buy 75% of the jabs from vaccine manufacturers for free supply to states. Meanwhile, the private sector hospitals continued to procure the remaining 25%.
Meanwhile, the US has administered 32,33,27,328 COVID-19 vaccine doses since December 8. Among the European nations, the UK, Germany, Italy and France have administered 7,67,74,990, 7,14,37,514, 4,96,50,721 and 5,24,57,288 doses respectively.