INDIA. New Delhi: Ministry of Tourism is planning targeted programs in order to boost domestic tourism throughout the country. The Ministry has undertaken the following activities/ initiatives to promote Domestic Tourism:
- Dekho Apna Desh Webinars
- Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat: various activities like road shows, FAM trips, B2B Meetings, Quiz programs, webinars between paired States / UTs to promote Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat
- Aerial photography of key cities and cultural assets (Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Udupi, Aurangabad, Iconic Tourist sites) across the country during lockdown
- Regular consultations with industry stakeholders on issues related to opening up of Tourism sector
- Handling of tourists, protocols of safety and security, services standards etc.
- Domestic Tourism Promotion Campaign through Webinars, social media and other digital platforms, and
- Dekho Apna Desh Campaign has been the mainstay of Domestic Promotion. The main focus is to rebuild the trust of the domestic & international travelers in terms of India being safe destination to travel in post COVID Scenario.
Read Also: Dekho ApnaDesh Campaign Post COVID-19
The Ministry of Tourism has revised the Guidelines for Scheme of Market Development Assistance (MDA) for the promotion of Domestic Tourism in November 2020 to enhance the scope and reach of the scheme. As per the guidelines, the stakeholders are provided with financial support for the promotion of Domestic Tourism. Additional promotional activities have been incorporated including online promotions and the extent of financial assistance permissible has been enhanced. Tourism Departments of State Governments / UT Administrations are also now eligible for obtaining financial support under the scheme.
Development and promotion of Tourist Sites/Destinations is primarily the responsibility of State Governments/UT Administrations. However, the Ministry of Tourism provides financial assistance to States/UTs for the development of tourist destinations based on detailed project reports submitted by them.
Ministry of Finance, Govt. of India has recently announced a new loan guarantee to more than 11,000 registered Tourist Guide/Travel and Tourism Stakeholders so that they could discharge their liabilities and restart business impacted due to COVID-19. The loan will be provided with a 100% guarantee up to the following limits:
•Rs. 10,00,000 for TTS (per agency)
•Rs. 1,00,000 for tourist guides licensed at Regional or State Level
The Ministry of Tourism has also recognised the immense potential of Rural Tourism and has been actively working on the promotion and development of this niche area of tourism, and has invited comments/ suggestions on the draft National Strategy and Roadmap for Development of Rural Tourism in India.