UNITED STATES: 80th Golden Globe Awards arrived with a grandeur brimming with A-list stars and filmmakers from around the globe. Jerrod Carmichal joined as the host and made the award night worth remembering with his comic punches and introductory one-liners.
SS Rajamouli’s directorial RRR, HBO’s House of the Dragon, Evan Peters’ Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story, and many other prominent films and series bagged the prestigious award in nominated categories.
India ‘rise roar and rules’ at Golden Globes 2023
The award ceremony commenced with a massive response as it opened the gateway for multiple foreign films in the nominations. This year’s Golden Globe was highly important for India as Telugu high-octane actioner RRR was nominated in multiple categories.
Holding high hopes of all the fans, SS Rajamouli’s film created history by becoming the first Indian film to win an award in a prominent category. It was nominated for Best Film in Non-English and Best Original Song categories. Though the film lost the award for Best Film to Argentina, 1985 but collected the prestigious title of Best Song for Naatu Naatu.
In addition to RRR’s craze at Golden Globes, multitudes of films and series received awards for Best Actor, Actress, and many more. Let’s take a look at some of the notable titles.
Golden Globes 2023 winners list
Best Film Winners
- The Fabelmans (Drama)
- The Banshees of Inisherin (Musical or Comedy)
Avatar: The Way of Water, Top Gun: Maverick, Elvis, and Tar were nominated in the Drama category but unfortunately, they lost the award to The Fabelmans. The Banshees of Inisherin emerged as the winning icon by defeating Everything Everywhere All at Once, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery, Triangle of Sadness, and Babylon in Musical or Comedy slot.
Best TV Series Winners
- House of the Dragon (Drama)
- Abbott Elementary (Musical or Comedy)
Golden Globes’ Best TV Series section witnessed a tough battle between Saul Goodman and Targaryens. The results hinted that Dragon scorched our beloved Jimmy in a defeating blow. Abbott Elementary emerged with flying colors on the top by sidelining the Netflix current hit series Wednesday.
Best limited series, anthology series or TV film
- The White Lotus: Sicily
Netflix’s Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story was also a tough contender in the list but it lost to The White Lotus: Sicily.
Best Non-English Film Winner
- Argentina, 1985
Best Animated Film Winner
- Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
2022 witnessed two adaptations of the classic story which include Disney’s live-action version and Guillermo del Torro’s stop-motion take with a dark setting. Dreamwork’s Puss in Boots: The Last Wish was also a contender in the Golden Globe Best Animated Film category along with Disney PIXAR’s Turning Red.
Best Director Winner
- Steven Spielberg for The Fabelmans
Steven Spielberg bagged the winning title of Golden Globes by facing a gripping battle with James Cameron (Avatar: The Way of Water), Daniel Scheinert and Daniel Kwan (Everything Everywhere All at Once), Baz Luhrmann (Elvis) and Martin McDonagh (The Banshees of Inisherin).
Best Actor and Actress in Film Winners
- Austin Butler for Elvis (Best Actor-drama)
- Cate Blanchett for Tar (Best Actress-drama)
- Colin Farrell for The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Actor-musical or comedy)
- Michelle Yeoh for Everything Everywhere All at Once (Best Actress-musical or comedy)
Best Actor and Actress in TV series Winners
- Kevin Costner for Yellowstone (Best Actor-drama)
- Zendaya for Euphoria (Best Actress-drama)
- Jeremy Allen White for The Bear (Best Actor-musical or comedy)
- Quinta Brunson for Abbott Elementary (Best Actress-musical or comedy)
Best Actor and Actress in Limited Series, Anthology series or Film Winners
- Evan Peters for Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story (Best Actor)
- Amanda Seyfried for The Dropout (Best Actress)
Best Supporting Actor and Actress in Film and TV Winners
- Ke Huy Quan for Everything Everywhere All at Once (Best Supporting Actor-Film)
- Angela Bassett for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Best Supporting Actress-Film)
- Tyler James Williams for Abbott Elementary (Best Supporting Actor-TV series)
- Julia Garner for Ozark (Best Supporting Actress-TV series)
- Paul Walter Hauser for Black Bird (Best Supporting Actor-Limited series)
- Jennifer Coolidge for The White Lotus (Best Supporting Actress-Limited series)
Best Original Song Winner
- Kala Bhairava, M. M. Keeravani, Rahul Sipligunj for Naatu Naatu (RRR)
Naatu Naatu from RRR become the first Indian song to bag the Best Original title at Golden Globes 2023. It was competing with powerhouse performers Taylor Swift’s Carolina (Where the Crawdads Sing), Guillermo del Toro and Roeban Katz’s Ciao Papa (Pinocchio), Lady Gaga and Blodpop’s Hold My Hand (Top Gun: Maverick) and Rihanna’s Lift Me Up (Black Panther 2).
Thanks to Kala Bhairava, M. M. Keeravani, and Rahul Sipligunj’s magical music composition which made the entire India proud of them.
RRR has achieved tremendous success globally which can’t be described in words. SS Rajamouli has proven his mettle by carving the name of Indian Cinema in golden letters on a global level.
Also Read: Emmy Awards 2022: Lee Jung-jae and Zendaya Excels at the Prestigious Award Ceremony