INDIA: People mostly focus on eating healthily, and neglect healthy drinks. But drinking is important as well. And, the world knows that tea is a healthy drink, and is a favourite drink for everyone. It is said that a cup of tea every day can keep pharmacists away. Tea has a lot of variations, and of all the varieties, Herbal teas are rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
Read Also: The Greener Green Tea – YERBA MATE
Herbal teas do not contain any caffeine and can be made of fresh or dried flowers, fruits, leaves, seeds, and roots. Various flavours like ginger, peppermint, chamomile, lavender, rose, apples, oranges, holy basil, cinnamon, and many other herbs are easily available in the market. Herbal tea is commonly used to treat cough and cold.
The active ingredients present in herbal teas act as medicines. Antioxidants found in herbal tea help in weight loss, improve digestion, and also in slowing down the aging process. Ingredients like ginger, peppermint, and turmeric help in preventing inflammatory problems, and various other vitamins and antioxidants help in fighting diseases and infections.
Overconsumption of any drink is injurious, and it is the same for tea too. Herbal tea is safe for consumption but some herbs present in it have toxic or allergic effects. Also, excessive consumption of tea can cause negative side effects like headache, anxiety, stress, soreness of the mouth, dermatitis, vomiting, and hormonal imbalance.
Different Types of Herbal Tea
Some common herbal teas are:
- Chamomile Tea: Helps calm the parasympathetic nervous system, reduces body stress and tension, supports digestion, helps boost immunity.
- Green Tea: Reduces risk of cancer, prevents heart disease, and assists in weight loss.
- Peppermint Tea: Helps in reducing headaches, reduces menstrual cramps, helps in digestion, treatment of sinus. It helps in cold and nausea.
- Ginger Tea: Fights inflammation and strengthens the immune system. It is a good remedy for nausea, helps fight stomach ulcers, cures indigestion and constipation, and is good for weight loss and menstrual discomfort in women.
- Cinnamon Tea: Calms an upset stomach and improves digestive health and boosts the immune system.
- Lemongrass Tea: Lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, great for skin and hair.
- Dandelion Tea: Helps in weight loss, improves digestion, protect against anemia, promotes strong bones.
- Hibiscus Tea: Treats high blood pressure, cholesterol, indigestion, liver diseases as well as cancer.
- Lemon Tea: Improves heart and skin health. It also helps reduce insomnia.
- Eucalyptus Tea: Stimulates the immune system and fights against respiratory infections. It helps boost energy, decrease emotional stress and mitigate mental fatigue.
- Thyme Herbal Tea: A remedy for sore throats, gastrointestinal discomfort, and diarrhea.
- Spearmint Tea: Improves digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Rosemary Tea: Reduces headaches and may prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s. It relieves stress and cold symptoms.
- Jasmine Herbal Tea: Helps in weight loss, increases metabolism, lowers cholesterol, and decreases inflammation.
- Ginseng Tea: Prevents obesity, stomach problems, and constipation.