4.9 C
Madrid
Saturday, January 28, 2023

White House Condemns Trump’s Call for “termination” of US Constitution

Andrew Bates called Trump's remarks an "anathema to the soul of the country"

Must read

Sadaf Hasan
Sadaf Hasan
Aspiring reporter covering trending topics

UNITED STATES: Donald Trump’s call for the termination of the US Constitution has received scathing criticism from leaders from both parties this past weekend, including strong condemnation from the White House.

To overturn the 2020 election, Trump made the statement in a post on his Truth Social account on Saturday, reiterating the fallacious assertion that he won the 2020 presidential election.

- Advertisement -

Aside from that, he accused Democrats and big tech companies of conspiring against him.

“Trump’s remarks were anathema to the soul of our country,” said Andrew Bates, White House spokesperson.

- Advertisement -

“You can only love America when you win,” Bates said, adding that Trump’s remarks should be “universally condemned”.

Other well-known Democrats, including Rep. Eric Swalwell, questioned how Republicans could continue to identify as “Constitutional conservatives” if they didn’t condemn the remarks.

- Advertisement -

In the post, Trump made nebulous claims of “vast & widespread fraud and deception” and questioned whether he should be quickly restored to power.

“A massive fraud of this kind and extent has the potential to repeal all laws, statutes, and articles, even those enumerated in the Constitution.”

“The great founders of our nation would not have approved of or permitted false and fraudulent elections,” he said.

The post came out just a few hours after Twitter’s internal discussions on restricting a 2020 story about Hunter Biden were made public.

The story came just weeks before the 2020 presidential election and was published by the New York Post, exposing President Joe Biden’s younger son’s tumultuous personal life and business dealings.

Initially, the story was blocked by Twitter due to a company policy against stolen and hacked materials. The disclosed emails revealed staff members’ arguments and bewilderment as they rushed to respond.

Later, on late Friday, the files were published on Twitter by Matt Taibbi, a journalist for Substack.

Twitter’s owner, Elon Musk, hinted last week that he might make the material public when he wrote on the social media platform, “This is vital to rebuild public trust.”

The billionaire conceded there might be a “legal risk” to his decision, but he defended it in a Saturday Twitter Live stream.

In order to start over, Musk stated, “We’re just going to throw all the facts out there. Legal repercussions were less of a concern than just clearing the air and ensuring that people know what truly happened.”

Trump, who announced his third bid for the presidency last month, is presently the favourite to secure the party’s nomination in 2024.

But last week, he came under fire for dining with a well-known white nationalist and Holocaust denier at his Florida residence.

In response, Trump said that he was unaware of the man’s presence and claimed that he had accompanied the artist Kanye West.

Also Read: Donald Trump Returns to Twitter after Elon Musk’s Poll 

Author

- Advertisement -

Archives

- Advertisement -

Trending Today