INDIA: In the recent update, the Manipur police have apprehended the four accused seen in the viral video, where women were forced to parade without any cover on their bodies.
However, it took more than a month for the FIR to be brought into action related to the case of Manipur’s Kangpokpi district.
On May 4, the case was to be transferred to the relevant police station as the victims had reportedly fled their homes and had complained to the police in another district. But there was no instant exertion by the jurisdiction.
On July 20, Manipur Police wrote in a tweet, “Four main accused arrested in the Viral Video Case: 03 (three) more main accused of the heinous crime of abduction and gangrape under Nongpok Sekmai PS, Thoubal District have been arrested today. So total 04 (four) persons have been arrested till now.”
Earlier on July 20, the main culprit Huirem Herodas Meitei (32), was arrested.
According to the Thoubal superintendent of police, Sachidananda, a lack of evidence has prevented the police from taking any action thus far. He claimed that the police were only made aware of the footage yesterday.
Since the cops have the video as proof, they have leapt into action and have started making arrests, as per the superintendent. He also explained the delay by saying that the victims were not in Thoubal after the incident.
As per reports, the police complaint states that the women were with the police from Thoubal’s Nongpok Sekmai police station when they were seized by a mob.
However, Sachidananda stated that the complaint’s accusation was false and that there were no police officers on the scene, as per reports.
The SP claimed that very day, a mob of people were attempting to steal weapons from the Nongpok Sekmai police station. He added that officers were occupied securing the police station.
One of the victims had previously told the media that the police had been present when the crowd attacked their village.
She claimed that the police had taken them (victims) from close to their homes, taken them a little distance from the village, and then abandoned them on the road alongside the mob. “We were given to them (the mob) by the police,” she told a media portal.
The chief minister of Manipur, N Biren Singh, reiterated that his government would make no compromises in pursuing the death punishment for the perpetrators following the widespread uproar over the horrifying tragedy in Manipur.