9.1 C
Madrid
Monday, October 26, 2020

WHO Announces 120 Million Rapid COVID-19 Tests For Low-Income Countries

The rapid test kits will provide reliable results in approximately 15-20 minutes at a very low price

Must read

Thai Parliament To Hold Special Session

THAILAND. Bangkok: The Royal Gazette of Thailand announced on 21 October that there will be a special parliamentary meeting starting on 26...

Maximizing Productivity Under Work From Home

Hello, am I audible? Apologies, I think there’s some connectivity issue. Now, that these conversations have...

Photocarrefour Africa Invites Abuja To View The Global Pandemic

The COVID-19 pandemic shapes a new reality where exhibits serve as a viewpoint to understand it. He said, “We expect people to look at the images of various artists from the world. And feel the changes brought by the pandemic from their perspective.”

India, US All Set To Sign A Military Pact

INDIA. India and the United States are all set to sign an agreement related to the defence-deal. By this agreement, India will...
Ishita Chakraborty
Ishita Chakraborty
A computer engineer who has a passion for writing, a hodophile, social activist, youth activist for PETA India, and a linguaphile. A journalist covering Social issues & United Nations initiatives for transcontinental times.

SWITZERLAND.Geneva. WHO announced that it will make around 120 million Rapid Diagnostic Kits (RDT) for COVID-19 on Monday. The COVID-19 test kits will be made available to poorer countries at a rate of $5.

However, the WHO will require an amount of $600 million to prepare the kits. According to WHO, the $600 million scheme will enable low and middle-income countries to close the dramatic gap for the COVID-19 testing.

Rapid Diagnostic Kit for COVID-19 testing

- Advertisement -


The quick test kits will be distributed across 133 countries over the next six months. However, the rapid test kits are not as reliable as the regular PCR nasal swab tests. But, they are faster, cheaper and easier to use.


WHO director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a virtual press conference, “We have an agreement, we have seed funding and now we need the full amount of funds to buy these tests.”

- Advertisement -


The rapid test kits will provide reliable results in approximately 15-20 minutes at a very low price. This equipment will also be less sophisticated. This will help in the expansion of testing particularly in remote areas that lacks proper lab facilities.

Read also: Healthcare Personnel Forced To Continue Working While Positive For COVID-19

- Advertisement -

The tests are being produced by two companies: US multinational Abbott Laboratories and South Korea-based SD BioSensor. The 120 million tests reflect 20 per cent of the firms’ manufacturing capacity. The other 80 per cent remain available for procurement.

Meanwhile, The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria has contributed $50 million to WHO.

Global Fund executive director, Peter Sands believes that the RDTs are a hugely valuable complement to PCR tests. In a press conference he said, “Although the RDTs are a bit less accurate, they’re much faster, cheaper and don’t require a lab.”


According to the reports, high-income countries were conducting 292 tests per day per 100,000 people. On the other hand, the lower-middle and low-income countries were conducting only 10-50 tests per day. The RDTs can be used in the places where PCR is unavailable and in places with widespread community transmission.

More articles

Latest article

The AI Frolics Of Social Networking

A thought worth deliberating Where the world is facing the deadly pandemic of COVID-19, when the entire humanity...

Maximizing Productivity Under Work From Home

Hello, am I audible? Apologies, I think there’s some connectivity issue. Now, that these conversations have...

Spanish Human Rights NGO THRibune And The UNODC Are Building The First Social Reintegration Center For Young Women In Kenya

KENYA, Nairobi. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and Spanish Human Rights NGO THRibune will build the first social...

Germany Hit By The Second Wave Of COVID-19

GERMANY. Germany reported 11,242 new COVID-19 cases on Friday. According to the reports, the new cases have brought Germany’s total number of...

Love & OM: Journey To Self Through Relationship (Part IV): Self-Actualization

It was 3am in Bangalore. 14 March 2020. Coronavirus was sucking the life from India all around me. I was on my...